Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Dear Zac Efron



Dear Zac Efron,

Dude, life is good right now, isn’t it? Suffice it to say, you are the man. People, Rolling Stone, Cosmo Girl, Time Magazine (OK, it was a teeny picture, but it is a news magazine)…what magazine are you not on the cover? Can I buy stock in you?

Your career is through the roof. High School Musical? Breakthrough! (OK, fine, you didn’t sing, but Natalie Wood didn’t in West Side Story either.) Hairspray? Awesome. That wink is killer, man. You actually made me believe that you fell in love with Tracy Turnblad. High School Musical 2? We’ll forgive you for the clamdiggers and the cheesy plot. This time you actually did sing and it was great – really!

Your girlfriend, Vanessa Hudgens is adorable. The two of you are cute as buttons. Kind of like a modern day Frankie and Annette. OK, I lost you there. Never mind.

In any case, I want to talk about your image. Sure, it’s squeaky clean right now. Supposedly you drive a modest car, live in a modest apartment and the only time you’re photographed in public is when you’re frolicking on the beach. Seriously? Seriously.

Right now, you’re not clubbing. You haven’t made the Lindsay/Britney/Paris mistake. You haven’t allowed your celebrity to overshadow your talent. Keep it that way, OK?

See, the thing is, I have a teenage daughter that thinks you’re the bomb. I know this because she’s got a pile of magazines with your face on it. Normally, I’d get annoyed because I’m always having to pick up these magazines from the floor of her bedroom. But I have to say, if I were fifteen, I’d have a crush on you too.

So my point here is, don’t let her down. Don’t become that poser wannabe who drinks until 4am and pretends that that, in itself, is important. It’s not. I’m not saying you have to be Brad Pitt and adopt a kid from every third world nation, but just don’t be pathetic and end up in rehab, OK? We’ve got enough of those people and we’re all sick of them.

That’s it. Keep it real. And feel free to drop by anytime. I’ll make you a batch of chocolate chip cookies and introduce you to my daughter.

Love,
Karen

21 Comments:

At 6:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm signing too, because my boys think anyone who dates Vanessa is the greatest.

And we forgive you for the golf course dance scene.

 
At 7:27 PM , Blogger Star said...

Very well said.

 
At 8:35 PM , Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

OMG! I LOVE IT!!! Thank you for this! I came right over after I read your post at MM and I was like ZAC!!!!

I have a major school-girl crush on him, if you haven't read my archives. I did not know he didn't sing in the first movie!!!

Thanks for stopping by Manic's and for the kind comments! Looking forward to reading more of you!

And yes, on the clam diggers and LOL at the Frankie and Annette!-

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger kenju said...

Yes, very well said, and I'll bet he'd be lucky to meet your daughter!

 
At 1:55 AM , Blogger David Edward said...

well done

 
At 9:16 AM , Blogger Marisa said...

Karen,

You have to send that on to Zac, I hope you did.

HSM in the theater is the height of... well, when you have 3 30-somethings with NO children in tow, it's quite a show! I think my friend even cried at the end.

Anyway, you can "Go Brewers" all you want, but I do believe if you check the rankings... YEAH CUBBIES!

All in good fun.

 
At 2:50 PM , Blogger Jess Riley said...

Frankie and Annette...hehe!

I'm probably one of the few people in the nation who didn't watch High School Musical (one or two). But it is great when younger celebrities don't succumb to the temptations/pitfalls of celebrity.

 
At 3:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's such a cutie....I could go a little Mrs. Robinson for him!

 
At 7:09 AM , Blogger Shari said...

Hello, fellow Wisconsinite!! A letter to a celeb by a mom. Great idea. I have a 13-year-old daughter. And I have had my own crushes when I was a teen.

BTW, Michele sent me.

 
At 12:17 PM , Blogger Tawcan said...

Interesting idea. That's a well written letter.

Oh Michele sent me here.

 
At 1:05 PM , Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Hi Karen....Oh My! I haven't been here in a long time! I'm so glad Michele sent me your way, today...

I don't know this young man, EXCEPT from seeing his picture just about everywhere....I tell you when that publicity machine gets going on someone...Well, it is almost too much! I've not seen Gigh Schol Musical 1, 2 3 or 8...(lol), or Hairspray...but this guy is very very cute from his pictures.
I hope he doesn't go down that road you speak of...I just jnow "celebrity" is hard and the temptations placed before one, very great...plus, it is a LOT to take all at once...! One's life changes almost overnight.....
Many obstacles in that seemingly easy lookiong and seductive path...
So...I wish him good luck in staying on an even keel...

 
At 1:43 PM , Blogger November Rain said...

:) Michelle sent me to read your letter

 
At 3:41 PM , Blogger November Rain said...

back from michelles

 
At 5:27 PM , Blogger Pat said...

I don't know this young man but there are many, many young people in the world of films, TV and music who could do to listen and take note of your words. Well said! Here from Michele's before I go to the land of Nod.

 
At 7:07 AM , Blogger Bernie said...

Ok, so he is HOT, but what is it really about him? He can't sing, he can't act... oh hang on, neither can Paris!!! I see your point now, don't turn into a Paris, please!! Keep it real!!!

Here from Michele's tonight, recovering from APEC (lets hope that Sydney returns to NORMAL soon...)!

 
At 10:57 AM , Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Wish he was George Clooney!

Michele sent me here to read this open letter.

 
At 8:12 PM , Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Hey! Girlfriend's not that adorable anymore huh? Taking off her clothes like that!

 
At 10:00 PM , Blogger -E said...

HAHA hilarious. Maybe he'd listen. I hope he doesn't turn into a Brad Pitt either though, because I've heard he's a stinky stinky man. Your daughter should like guys that smell nice.

Wandered over from Michele's. Have a great weekend.

 
At 8:00 AM , Blogger November Rain said...

Hi again wanted to thank you from coming by my blog

 
At 3:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Frankie-and-Annette analogy is perfect. Except I don't think Vanessa has a clause in her contract about never showing her navel.

 
At 1:52 PM , Blogger carmilevy said...

Amen. If only more teen/tween stars would heed your wise advice, Karen.

I don't understand the appeal of the clubbing lifestyle. I keep trying to project myself into a life of fame and fortune (I know, as if, but humor me...) If I suddenly came into extreme wealth and profile, I'd be content to pay off my mortgage, maybe buy a nicer home, a nicer car, and live my quiet, comfortable life as best I can.

I'm not sure why there's such an appeal to staying out till 4 a.m. and drinking/drugging ad infinitum. It's really quite sad to watch the Lindsays, Parises and Britneys of the world implode and throw it all away in the process. If anything, you'd think the ingredients are there for a life well lived.

Oh well, I guess I just got it wrong. Thankfully you're there to put it all in perspective.

Thanks, Karen! I'm so glad Michele sent me today to catch up with your delightful take on modern life.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home