Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

My Once-A-Year Sisters

Eighteen years. Many marriages don’t last that long. A lot of friendships don’t either. But ours has…and so has our annual trek to a tiny cottage on a tiny lake in a tiny town in the middle of Wisconsin. It’s been eighteen years since we had our first “Ya-Ya Weekend.” (Yes, it’s a nod to the Rebecca Wells book, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.) Since then, we’ve fine-tuned our preparations and cut back on the groceries. Other than that, not much has changed.

It’s a weekend where we sit back, catch-up and sometimes reconnect with our own identities. It’s a time when we take a break from being employees and sisters and wives and mothers and, for once, just be us. I have to say, that’s the hardest part – not being defined by our relationships to other people. For a few days, we get to be ourselves – we laugh at the stupidest things and say what’s on our minds – without feeling like we’ll be judged for any of it.

We have traditions – craft night, Saturday night on the boat, setting goals for next year. (Never revealed to outsiders, rarely ever met and hardly ever criticized.) Other than that, we have blessedly few obligations. We update each other on our lives and swap advice on topics as mundane as child-rearing or decorating. Somehow we manage to always do the most important thing of all: We build each other up before we send each other off. I wish everyone could be so lucky.
*Yes, that's me, hanging out on the far right.

8 Comments:

At 10:17 PM , Blogger kenju said...

That's a fun-looking group - and you're so pretty!!

 
At 6:02 AM , Blogger xxxx said...

HOW FUN! It's so important to have weekends like that!

 
At 3:34 PM , Blogger Marisa said...

I'd love to have a yearly retreat like that to look forward too. I especially love sharing your goals for the following year.

Hi from just to the south -- T and I were up in your state (at the Barrymore in Madison) catching Patti Smith and basking in the calm that always overtakes me when I cross the border.

 
At 5:23 PM , Blogger carmilevy said...

I also wish everyone could be so lucky, Karen. Just reading about it brought peace to my little world.

I think you've planted some seeds here.

Otherwise, I hope you're having a wonderful summer. I'm sorry I'm such a stranger these days. My new job is intense, and it's taking me away from my favorite reads. But you're all still in my thoughts.

 
At 6:53 PM , Blogger flleenie said...

You know what? I am a little envious; never had the experience of a girls weekend away. But I cannot begrudge your good time. Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

 
At 9:39 PM , Blogger awareness said...

Hi Karen.....

It's a boomerang Michele visit...:)

What a wonderful tradition. My girlfriends from long ago are spread out across the country and most of us have lost touch. However, I have relinked with old camp friends and experienced an amazing reunion last year...the first of many to come.

I love your traditions.....

 
At 7:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Four of us get together once in a while. It kind of rejuvenates all of us.

I can relate to this.

 
At 9:49 PM , Blogger Seeker said...

Seven sisters?! Wow. We are three sisters, and try to get together 2 or 3 times a year for "Sisters Weekends". What a blast we have.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home