Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Not Crying. Definitely Not Crying. OK, Maybe Crying A Little Bit. Alright, Fine, Dammit - Crying!

I didn’t think it would happen, but I admit it. I’m sniffling a wee little bit. Not like last year, but, yes - a tiny bit sad. My son left for college just a few moments ago and although he’s a sophomore, I still can’t help but feel my heartstrings twanging a touch. First, I’m worried about him driving. It’s six hours away through Chicago traffic. I won’t rest easy tonight until I know he’s safe and sound in college town. So, yes, a few prayers have been said. Feel free to join in.

Maybe this is just a mom thing. My husband left for work with just work on his mind. I know he shares my concern over the driving thing, but he’s at work – working – and I’m at home – blogging...and perhaps obsessing. My daughter is practically thrilled. No longer will she have to share the bathroom, the basement or the television. She gets sole possession of everything, including our attention. This, she knows, can be a mixed blessing.

But me, well I guess I’m a little peeved. I’ve put a fair amount of time into that young man and yet he always seems to be leaving. I know that it’s what I would want more than anything, but it’s a bittersweet taste of success. Here he goes into the world, being all talented and funny and charming and clever and he wants to share it with others and develop more of it. Well, hey, what about me? Share it with ME! I know, I know – I sound positively insane. I’m really much more rational than that, but I find myself wishing he’d hang around just a little bit more.

Boy, have things changed. When he was little, he was positively obsessed with me. He’d follow me around and talk and hang on me and follow me into the bathroom and talk some more. He couldn’t get enough of me and, I admit it, I sometimes felt a little bit smothered. Oh, what I wouldn’t give for a little of that smothering right now.

And so, we’ll start all over and adjust from a house of four to a house of three. We’ll fix meals that he hates and watch TV that he can’t stand and do a little less laundry and have a few less lights to turn off and go to restaurants he doesn’t like and generally ease into a routine that is different. A new normal. That is until he waltzes back in here and messes everything up and leaves the lights on all the time and doesn’t pick up after himself. I can’t wait.

14 Comments:

At 4:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow-- I'd be sniffling too. That said, I am very reeady for school to start, but they are just heading into 2d and 5th grades-- I have time!!

 
At 4:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I'm weepy about middle school :)....I will be hysterical when college comes around.

 
At 6:31 AM , Blogger Catherine said...

We live in a university city (what we call college in New Zealand - college is a high school here), so my children tend to stick around because it's cheaper at home :)
I have five and some of them have come and gone and come home again but at the moment there are still four at home, aged 18 and up - which is a mixed blessing, but on the whole I agree with you - it's nice to have them around.

 
At 7:19 AM , Blogger Olyal said...

Good luck re-adjusting! I'm sure that, like most uni / college students, he'll be home regularly with a big bag of dirty washing and a hungry stomach. :o)
It's funny how the tables turn.
Michele sent me today.

 
At 9:03 AM , Blogger Olyal said...

Michele sent me back to see you again!

 
At 9:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Here from Michele's this morning. Looks like you and I are in the same mood this week...I posted something very, very similar.

Sniffle, sniffle...

 
At 4:10 PM , Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Don't worry about it, some of us drive through Chicago traffic all the time. ;-)

Michele sent me.

 
At 8:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

[Did I post a comment here already that hasn't been added yet? Or maybe I just thought I did...geez. Please delete one or the other if I did!]

But I just wanted to tell you that we are obviously on the same wavelength this week, feeling like time is passing entirely too fast! Posted about this very thing this week...sniffle, sniffle.

 
At 6:55 AM , Blogger rashbre said...

Six hours can be like another planet, but with phones, text and email theres a fast way to bridge distance. And laundry do es have a homing instinct too.

Here today via Michele's!

rashbre

 
At 8:02 AM , Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

That's all part of growing up, Karen!

Michele sent me here.

 
At 10:41 AM , Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

awww go ahead a cry - then go get some McDonald's french fries.

Michele approves

 
At 7:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like this every time my girls leave for camp or when they go somewhere out of my control. I know they're going to be ok, but I still find myself worrying... all the "what ifs" can drive me nuts.
I'm going to be in the same boat again next year when my daughter leaves for college. Beware, I might come crying to you! LOL

 
At 12:27 PM , Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

My four year old daughter went off to day care (preschool next month) for the first time a week and a half ago. There was definitely a little sniffling going on in this house too.

 
At 7:11 AM , Blogger carmilevy said...

You're an amazing mom, Karen. And you somehow manage to capture it all in your writing.

Happy sigh.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home