Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Please Don’t Tell Me Our Parents Were Right

OK, so remember way back in the 1960s (if you’re too young for that, just pretend) when the Ed Sullivan Show was on the air and Elvis Presley made that legendary appearance and the camera couldn’t show his entire body because his dancing was deemed inappropriate and too risqué? And the reason why was because if we listened to music like that, let alone watch it on TV, it would lead us to bad things. Things like “necking” and sitting on boys laps which, of course, would get us pregnant. This is what many parents told us. If we listened to rock and roll, bad things would happen. In our heart of hearts, we knew they were wrong...or were they?

Yesterday, Associated Press published a story saying that, according to a recent study, “Teens whose iPods are full of music with raunchy, sexual lyrics start having sex sooner than those who prefer other songs.” Gulp. This is exactly what I was afraid of and now there’s proof.

Look, I drive teenagers around...a lot. I listen to their music because it’s better than arguing with them. And when I hear songs like “Candy Shop” by 50 Cent, I turn the volume off faster than you can imagine. If I didn’t, we’d hear things like this:

I'll take you to the candy shop
I'll let you lick the lollypop
Go 'head girl, don't you stop
Keep going 'til you hit the spot (woah)

I'll take you to the candy shop
Boy one taste of what I got
I'll have you spending all you got
Keep going 'til you hit the spot (woah)


I don’t know about you, but I’m not taking my kids to that candy shop! And I’m not letting them listen to this crap! Still, I know that when I’m not around to change the station or turn the radio off, they listen to this. And, according to this very scary study, it makes an impact on them and the choices they make.

I like to think that I’ve had more influence on my kids than 50 Cent, but I remember being a teenager, full of angst and woe and drama, and I remember thinking that the only person that understood me was that rock star on the radio. He was singing to me, wasn’t he? Or at least that’s what I thought. Are kids today thinking the same thing and super-charging their libidos while they irreversibly damage their eardrums? I don’t know.

All I do know is that next time “Promiscuous Girl” comes on the radio:

Promiscuous girl
You're teasing me
You know what I want
And I got what you need


I’ll use this opportunity to have a discussion about what promiscuity is and how it can totally ruin a night, a weekend and a reputation. Yes, there’s nothing like a lecture from Mom to totally kill the mood. You're welcome. That’s what I’m here for.

8 Comments:

At 7:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just nailed it. I'm always on my daughter's case about the lyrics in these songs. It's unbelieveable what they hear, day in and day out with this music. I think it starts to go to their head after awhile.

Thanks for stopping by my site earlier! It was good to see you again. :)

 
At 8:11 PM , Blogger Tracie Nall said...

Amen sister!!

Michele sent me!

 
At 10:01 PM , Blogger Marisa said...

I just want to know when your guide to parenting is going to be published. I know several people who need it.

Good for you! I hope for your daughter's sake, you ruin many a night. Then maybe she won't end up like my cousin, who told me point blank that her mother is a bad parent, in part because she's afraid to fight for her children like this. She's off to college this year, feeling a bit unsure, and wanting a mom more than a friend.

Sorry for the long comment but I imagine it's not easy and I just want to reassure you that it's worth it.

 
At 10:08 PM , Blogger kenju said...

AMEN! I remember when I was 14-15 and rhythm and blues started hitting the airwaves. Some of the lyrics (oh heck, most of the lyrics) were very suggestive, and if they weren't - we made up our own ideas of what it meant. My mom nearly hit the ceiling with some of the song lyrics and I realized even then that she was right. It didn't stop me from listening...LOL. But now, the lyrics are way beyond suggestive - they are blatant. It gives a kid the idea (through repetition, among other things) that it is okay to focus your life on sex. It sure seems as if the singers do - of course, we adults know they are just into making money, and that is why they focus on sex - they know the kids are so curious about it. I think it is a damn shame that we allow people like 50 cent to get rich by making our children think that sex should be their only focus in life.

Now that I sould like the original fuddy-duddy, I will stop....LOL

 
At 11:04 PM , Blogger Jess Riley said...

We have a new neighbor with teenage daughters, and they let her blast music with the worst lyrics from a boombox on the front lawn. My parents would have kicked the CD player across the street if I played anything like that!

I totally sound like an old fart, but oh well. I kind of am. ;)

 
At 5:59 AM , Blogger Star said...

WHn my girls were growing up they listened to Guns N' Roses, Bon Jovi and Def Lepard. I actually liked their music. But some of the lyrics today are hard to deal with. After all, the Beatles were onlt guilty of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"

 
At 6:41 AM , Blogger Bobealia... said...

Wait a minute. Is it the chicken or the egg? I mean, I have not read the story yet (I'm in a rush, but I'll read it later) but all this seems to prove is that kids who are sexual listen to sexual music. Can we prove the music did it to them? I would blame videos WAY before I would blame the lyrics.

Hi!!! I'm here at your blog for the first time from Michele's.

 
At 6:16 PM , Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

And Candy Shop is such a terrible song to begin with. 50 Cent sounds s half-hearted when singing it and it's full of lame entendres. I can't believe that anyone would want to listen to it and not laugh.

On another note, my absolute favorite band when I was in high school was the Ramones and I certainly didn't want to emulate any of their songs. No sniffing glue, shooting dope, or prostituting myself on New York city streets for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home