Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Driving Me Cellular

Cell phones. They’re marvels, aren’t they? With hardly any effort, people can reach you, or you can reach them, anytime, anywhere. The only exception being when you are standing inside a school. Any school building. Anywhere. Whatever was used to construct schools, most of them being at least 30+ years old, is impervious to cell phone signals. Sure your phone will ring if you are inside a school, but you will not be able to hear anything that is said except for “......need.....missing.....can’t.....emergency...” or something like that.

As a mom, cell phones are my friends. They allow me to reach my children wherever they go, or, they can reach me wherever I am. They are a safety net, of sorts, that give me a false sense of security. Still, I depend on them like a limb or like my car where my cell phone sits ready and waiting. Herein lies the problem. Cell phones and cars shouldn’t be mixed.

I’m not really one to preach here. From time to time, I do use my cell phone in my car, but I try to make it a rare occurrence. However, the women around my neighborhood seem to think it’s a rite of passage along with toilet training their children and teaching them to ride a bike. First they have babies. Then they get a giant stroller. Then they get a giant SUV. Then they start driving. Then they get on their cell phones. It’s as if the car won’t operate unless the cell phone has been dialed. Who are they talking to...CONSTANTLY?

If you are one of these women, you know who you are. I can spot you from a mile behind because you are not really paying attention to anything that you are doing. You’re driving around as if you’re lost. You change lanes on a whim – sometimes two or three at a time! You cut across parking lots with little regard to others and you RARELY use your turn signal. Probably because you only have one free hand, thanks to the cute little wireless thingy you’re holding to your ear.

I’m not a huge fan of Bluetooth earpieces or hands-free devices, but this is where they should be used. Not in airports or coffee shops so that those around you think you’re talking to yourself. Not in restaurants so that your dining companions know that they’ll probably get more of your attention if they call you rather than talk to you across the table. Hands-free is for driving, so that you can properly operate that 4 ton gas guzzler safely. Try it.

Oh, and I can’t begin a discussion of cell phones without making a suggestion: If you’re making or receiving a cell phone call and you’re in public, step outside or speak softly. There is nothing....NOTHING more annoying than people that believe that the world is their phone booth. The only time that I would be interested in what someone is saying into a cell phone is if it went something like this: “Hi, I’m with the Publisher’s Clearinghouse Prize Patrol and I’m looking for Karen....”

17 Comments:

At 3:24 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

Great post! People on cell phones at inappropriate times are a major detriment to society!

Check out my site for my most current rant...here via Michele.

 
At 3:28 PM , Blogger barbie2be said...

i once nearly got into a fight in a bathroom at a restaurant because this little chickadee wouldn't leave or hang up her phone in the bathroom. my argument was that i didn't want whoever she was talking to listening in on my taking care of the call of nature. i finally had to go get the manager to tell her to leave the room.

that's just rude.

michele sent me.

 
At 3:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!! I certainly don't want to be privy to the detailed experience the person in front of me at the zippy mart experienced while being admitted to the local emergency room for VIRAL Pneumonia!! Ewwwww...which gas pump did he touch???????

 
At 5:54 PM , Blogger rashbre said...

In the UK its illegal to drive using a cellular unless its hands free. Some still do but most don't. And here via Michele's!

rashbre

 
At 9:18 PM , Blogger Rene said...

I hate cell phones. I have one but half the time I don't know where it is. I rarely use it. I just don't want to be that available.

 
At 6:29 AM , Blogger Marie said...

In NY it's against the law to drive while on a cell phone. You see lots of hands-free devices. But still lots of boobs driving & talking on the phone. Grrr! I mostly use mine at the grocery store... "I'm getting milk, do we need anything else?" LOL. Yeah, I love it as a safety net too...

Michele sent me!

 
At 6:36 AM , Blogger purplefugue said...

Greetings from Michele!

Great post! I use a mobile phone too and I have to admit, if I lose mine, I'd be totally lost. It's got numbers, addresses, emails, notes and important dates. BUT I'm not tied to it. It's shut off after I get home and it's rarely on on weekends. And I totally agree with you about using the phone in public. Why do those people insist on carrying on conversations in their loudest voice regardless if they're in a doctor's office or in a crowded bus or train. UGH!

 
At 7:55 AM , Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

I dislike cell phones intensely. Where are so many attached to them?

Michele sent me.

 
At 11:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't talk inside on my cell phone in public places but I am SO guilty of using the cell nonstop in my van. I think i am a menace 2 society.

 
At 11:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO true! I once heard a cell phone conversation in a bookstore in which the woman talking announced loudly to the person on the other end of the phone (and to everyone in the store), "My social security number is..." "My password is..." "My account number is..." "Do you need it all again? Okay. My social security number is..." I was horrified.

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger yellojkt said...

I have one of those Borg earpieces but I haven't gotten the hang of using it yet. It also looks like its real easy for me to lose.

 
At 12:34 PM , Blogger srp said...

Here from michele.
It is so true... you cannot talk on a phone and drive at the same time. It just isn't possible. And I have seen so many... women are the worst offenders but men are almost as bad. Now, it is much easier to eat and drive... there isn't any higher brain systems in play when you eat...just shovel it in.

The part about loving them because you can get a hold of your kids.. As the mother of a college girl who has ring tones to tell her who is calling, I can tell you that the sure way to NEVER be able to get them on the phone is to give them a cell. Maybe one in ten times she will actually answer. Then there was the time when the phone rang and it was the campus police. They found "MOM" under one of her contacts and called, trying to find out who the phone belonged to. She had dropped it and another student turned it in. When I found her, she hadn't even realized it was lost. Now that was a heart stopping moment... the booming low voice of campus police.

 
At 1:33 PM , Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I couldn't agree more! When I see somreone driving somewhat erratiicly I can almost count on the fact that they are on their cell phones! So dangerous. And it is almost amusing to see two people sitting together at a restaurant, BOTH on their phones!! Hello? Certainly Cell phones are a God SEnd in many respects but...but...but....So I say "DITTO" to all that you said Karen...

And thanks for the visit, my dear...Do come back on the 27th ifyou remember..(HA HA)...it should be fun...!

 
At 5:41 AM , Blogger Sandy said...

Bravo! Although I do tend to use the phone in the car at times. I've tried to be good with the whole hands free thing, but frankly, they stink. I can never hear. I can't be heard. I hate those things.

Michele sent me this morning.

 
At 11:46 AM , Blogger Gypsy said...

What always gets me are the people walking around with earpieces chatting on the phone and looking like they're crazy nutjobs talking to themselves. I still do a double take.

Thanks for visiting my blog the other day!

 
At 7:48 PM , Blogger kenju said...

Ditto and amen!

 
At 7:59 AM , Blogger carmilevy said...

These people frighten me to the base of my very soul when I'm out on my bike. I've already been hit by a car - the guy was arguing with his wife - and punched by a Type A motorist who was later convicted of assault. This, of course, doesn't include the countless near-misses due to the inattentiveness of yakking drivers.

I hate to say it, but it's only a matter of time before the next incident. And it'll probably involve a Motorola or Nokia logo and a driver too wrapped up in a conversation to care.

Thanks for, yet again, nailing the topic so forcefully. My only regret is the morons who behave this way likely do not read.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home