Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Friday, June 09, 2006

The Summer Speech

All across America, moms are preparing to give their children The Summer Speech. Actually, you never really plan to give The Summer Speech. It just happens. The school year ends. Your kids spend a couple of days lounging around at home. They start to get on your nerves and suddenly you hear yourself starting out with these familiar words: “You are NOT going to be ________ all summer long. I am not running a resort here!”

For a long time, I thought it was my own personal speech reserved only for my dear children. And then I talked to my friend who mentioned in passing that she had just given The Summer Speech the day before. We compared notes. The words were slightly different, but the gist of it was the same: We needed to make a mom power play and remind the kids that we were still in charge.

It’s not that, as moms, we want to rain on our children’s parade of summer fun and independence. I, for one, am just as thrilled as they are at the idea of no homework and no early morning rides to school. It’s just that kids get this idea in their heads that no school means no chores, no responsibility, no waking up, no going to bed.....basically a free-for-all. If you want to scare a stay-at-home mom, show her this scenario.

And so, summer has begun at our house and The Summer Speech has been delivered, albeit to smirking faces and rolling eyes. But I can rest a little easier knowing that I’ve laid down the ground rules and can conveniently refer to them throughout the summer...when they’re ignored.

19 Comments:

At 7:57 AM , Blogger shpprgrl said...

The Summer Speech has happened here! Lately I feel like I have more duties than a cruise director. And you know, it's in addition to everything else. Here from Michele's!

 
At 9:42 AM , Blogger Prego said...

Hey,

Thanks for the visit yesterday.
p

 
At 10:20 AM , Blogger yellojkt said...

The blank on our son's summer speech is play computer games. He's going to a camp for three week with no computer games allowed and then we are vacationing for a week. That leaves six weeks to keep him from going completely nocturnal.

 
At 10:36 AM , Blogger Aginoth said...

Ahhh the old problem of things you promised never to say to your kids that your parents said to you...

:o)

Michele sent me

 
At 12:11 PM , Blogger Rene said...

Oh, I so know what you mean. I'm not going let my kids turn into big piles of fungus this summer. I found this on Flylady.net and I'm going to use it as kind of a guide for the summer.

http://www.flylady.net/images/camp_CJ.pdf

 
At 2:34 PM , Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I remember these rules all too well. Thankfully my daughter is at an age where we don't have to go overboard in laying down the summer rules. Her chore routine, etc. continues eventhough she now has a little more free time during the day to do other things.

 
At 7:35 AM , Blogger Sandy J said...

Do I ever remember giving out that speech! I remember always being happy summer was here and I didn't have to make lunches, drive them to school, homework crisises...but when September came was so glad to get them back in school.

Here from Michelle's!

 
At 8:36 AM , Blogger Katherine@Raising Five said...

We've had the speech here, too. How they can ever think this place is a resort is beyond me, but they still try.

 
At 12:03 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

I gave that speech too but I seem to be as bad as the kids at times.

 
At 7:13 AM , Blogger Canadian Mark said...

We're beyond speehes at my house. With our 11 year old, it will likely have to be a crafty combination of sontracts, schedules, and bribery to get the job done. Hmmm. Come to think of it, it's pretty much like that all year round.

Michele sent me today.

 
At 8:42 AM , Blogger David Edward said...

Hannah's summer started with a bang, while riding on the back of a Quad, she and her friensd went over the edge and down a long ways, Bang! her friend broke her wrist, hannah got her head banged really hard on the rocks and they both have copious amounts of road rash ( abrasions) - but I think all is well that ends.
here from michele

 
At 10:46 AM , Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

The Summer Speech...great post, Karen.

Michele sent me this way.

 
At 2:24 PM , Blogger craziequeen said...

AH, the bane of summer chores.

To avoid those, my brother would disappear with his friends all day and I would shoot off to the open air pool and hide! :-)

Thing was, our mum always caught us in the end.......

cq

 
At 9:27 PM , Blogger utenzi said...

I don't remember getting that speech when I was a kid but I'm sure my Mom did give it. I suspect I just ignored it really well. On the other hand, back in those days Moms would just lock the kids out of the house for hours on end and not think anything of it while they got the housework done. Different times...

Michele sent me way up North to Wisconsin Karen!

 
At 11:20 PM , Blogger Michelle Pessoa said...

My baby's only two months old so it'll be a long time before I have to give this speech. ;)

Via Michele's.

 
At 9:59 AM , Blogger Gypsy said...

Ah, I remember Mom giving us the Summer Speech. Such a downer ;0)

Here from Michele's.

 
At 2:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've had the Speech. It basically goes like this-- I love you, but you are to stay outside until August. I'll call you in for meals, and if it starts to rain you can come inside, too. Have a great summer!

 
At 7:31 AM , Blogger Sandy said...

Ha! We're just dealing with break from preschool and I find myself giving that speech on a fairly normal basis. ;) "We're not going to sit around all day and _______. Let's get moving. Off to store."

Michele sent me over. Thanks for the smile.

 
At 12:06 AM , Blogger Marisa said...

Ha! The Summer Speech! Yeah, my mom had it perfected too. If only she knew all the places we went and things we did just because she wanted us to go outside and play.

Thanks for the memories. I just can't get enough of your blog!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home