Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Just Say McNo!

The other day, I was talking to my sister who is a 2nd grade teacher. She relayed this conversation that she had with one of her students:

“Mrs. R., do you watch Grey’s Anatomy?”
“Why no Suzie, I don’t.”
“Oh, really. I’m surprised. Because you struck me as someone that would watch Grey’s Anatomy. My mom and I get so excited to watch it on Thursday nights. We get a big bowl of popcorn….”

I stopped her there. First, because this kid has pretty amazing verbal skills. But secondly because I told her to call social services. There is no way in hell that a 2nd grader should be watching Grey’s Anatomy.

Don’t get me wrong. I love Grey’s Anatomy. I’ve watched it from the very beginning. It’s a great show…but NOT for 2nd graders!

What is wrong with parents?! Are they trying to be buddies with their kids? This show is on (here in the heartland) at 9pm. That 2nd grader should be in bed and simply should not be allowed to watch this show. It’s too adult. It’s full of sex and innuendo and a bit of blood and gore. Why didn’t the mom just say NO?!

I have a 15 year old daughter. Last year, she begged my husband and I to let her watch Grey’s because all the girls at her high school were watching it. We had a long discussion and eventually decided it was OK. But we had reservations – and rightfully so.

I’m not a prudish mom. I’m probably way more liberal when it comes to language and movies and music than most moms. But common sense has to come into play at some point, doesn’t it?

When my kids were toddlers, I never got to watch Friends. Every Friday morning, I’d come to work and listen to all of the water cooler conversations about how incredibly funny the show was. We didn’t have a VCR or a DVR and so we used our parental judgment to know that having Friends on while our kids were around was not a good idea. We had to give up something in order to, in my opinion, properly parent.

These days, when you go to the movies, even at night, even at R-rated films, you’ll see entire families in the seats. Toddlers, babies, etc. I want to stand up and shake my finger at the parents and scream: GET A BABYSITTER! YOUR KIDS DON’T BELONG HERE! I’m sure it would be a waste of energy.

It’s times like these when I really wish people had to get a license to parent. Seriously? Seriously.

5 Comments:

At 3:29 PM , Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

Common sense ain't so common anymore. I'd say in the big picture, there are greater travesties, but I get your point.

Michele sent me,

Mike

 
At 3:32 PM , Blogger carmilevy said...

I'd be happy to join you in your effort to require a license to be a parent. If you need one to fish for bass on the Mississippi River, then you should darn well need one to procreate.

You've once again nailed the proverbial head of the issue, Karen. I shake my head when I realize how some parents are raising their kids.

Discovery Channel's become our preferred content of late. For a 12-year-old who's just learning that he loves science, it doesn't get any better.

Dropped by from Michele's this afternoon to wish you a great rest-of-Friday. Every time I visit, I feel like I've learned something. This visit has been no exception.

 
At 8:46 AM , Blogger craziequeen said...

Michele sent me to say hi - and I agree.

We often see children in movies that aren't suitable. In the UK, PG rating leaves it up to the parent to decide, and we get some pretty young kids in the cinema - even the most scary films, like War of the Worlds (that got as lot of kiddie screams!).

cq

 
At 9:44 AM , Blogger kenju said...

AMEN! I can't stand to see young children in movies they don't belong in, and it goes double for TV shows. I have decided that the world is going to hell in a hand-basket and it is proven by all the new TV shows this fall. If I hear the word penis and transexual once more, I will scream. I sound like my mother.

 
At 5:43 PM , Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Great post!!! Great post!!! Hats off to you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home