Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Can You Feel A Brand New Blog?

Wow, it's kinda pink, isn't it?! Yeah, well I was bored. And, admit it, you were too. I haven't been here in like six weeks and this poor little old blog was getting more stale than the leftovers in my fridge.

You see, I've created this triumverate of blogs. I have a community blog and a blog on a local "mom" site and then I have this blog. This used to be my one and only outlet for writing. Then the others came along. Momhood is sort of like the oldest child. Once adored and now often ignored. Along the way, I started getting stumped on how to fill each blog. Most of the time, I did nothing. Lazy and pathetic, I know.

And I do understand that my "readership" has fallen off. There are so few of you - perhaps even fewer. I think I can count on Tom, Mary Ann, Dan and Judy. That's probably it. Thank you to all of you. I appreciate every nice thing you've ever said and every critical thing you've kept to yourself. You're all the best.

OK, now for the good news. I'm changing things up. Momhood will always be here and will always be called Momhood. But I'm changing the direction. There will be, hopefully, more posts. But they'll be short and maybe a little bit out there. This will be the depository for the endless stream of odd thoughts that pass through my head. Why? Because I'm about more than just children and motherhood. Although both have defined me, I'm still a babe with a brain, if you will, and if you visit here, you get to find out what's going on in mine. Are you ready? OK. Here goes:

Exactly how old do you have to be to die of natural causes? As I've mentioned before, I'm a little bit fascinated by obituaries lately. I read them daily. I love reading strange ones and, for some reason, I always want to know what happened. Often I run into the phrase: "He died of natural causes." When it's an older person, I completely understand. But when somebody is, say, 55, isn't that a little bit young to be dying of natural causes? Isn't every death natural unless machinery is involved?

2 Comments:

At 10:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Karen! Thought I'd check out one of your "other" blogs. I too am obsessed with obituaries. I think if you're 80 or older it can be considered "natural" causes, but what also gets me is when someone is in their 90's and they write "Died unexepectedly". Odd. Have a good one.
Niki Cairns

 
At 10:58 PM , Blogger kenju said...

I think "natural causes" is a catchall phrase that can substitute for a plethora of things that plague us in old age. You know how some people are old at 45 and others young in their 80's? That's how natural causes gets blamed for those who die at 55.

I used to laugh at my mother for reading the obit in the paper first - but now I do it too (only online).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home