Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Empty Nest Test

Alright. It’s 2:50 pm on a Saturday. Our son is at college and our daughter is gone for the weekend with a friend and her family. For the next 48 hours or so, we have an empty nest. How do I feel? Well, frankly, this is REALLY weird.

Sure, when our kids were toddlers, I dreamed about this. I used to sit in the rocking chair at 2:50 am and imagine the days when I wouldn’t have to wake up at that hour and when I could leave the house whenever I damn-well pleased. Ahh…sweet freedom.

What’s that annoying thing that people say? Be careful what you ask for?

Like I said, it’s weird. It’s also pretty scary. Hubby and I will celebrate our 25th anniversary in December. Are we really prepared to spend the next 25 years without kids? Can anyone possibly put up with that much ME?!

Technically, we have 6 years before our nest is really empty, but this weekend almost feels like the end of college. Remember those days when you had no clue what your future held? The one thing about being a parent is that it’s so engrossing, so all-encompassing that the idea that your kids will be gone one day is simply preposterous. And yet inevitable.

It’s a good thing this is only a test. If this had been an actual empty nest, someone would have to point me in some direction. Because honestly, for the second time in my life, I’m a little lost.

2 Comments:

At 5:23 PM , Blogger Star said...

The best past about an empty nest is that you leave it neat and clean when you go to work, it looks just like that when you come home again.

 
At 11:34 PM , Blogger kenju said...

I advise a job or some volunteer work. If you are already feeling it like that, you need to cultivate something to keep you feeling needed!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home