Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

An Abundance of Blessings

You can disagree with me on this, but I'll argue till the end. I'm pretty sure that I have the best friends and neighbors…in Wisconsin...anywhere, actually. In fact, I'd take mine over anybody else's any day. Bar none.

This past week, while my family and I were dealing with the grief of losing a son and a brother, our friends swooped down on us, fed us, offered a shoulder to cry on, shoveled our snow, walked our dog, picked up our mail, house sat, helped us find photos and memories and were there for us at all hours. Rarely have I felt so loved and cared for in my life.

There is such an amazing community spirit here that it has truly eclipsed our sadness. To say thank you would seem trite. What we can say is we are so truly blessed.

Someday soon, I'll tell you all about the lady that hugged too long, the priest that cried during the entire sermon, the 80+ year old man that kept telling my son he was my husband's classmate and the darling young boy who when thanked for coming said: "Thank you for having me." Because even amidst sadness, I find humor lurking around every corner. But that's just me.

9 Comments:

At 5:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

The same thing happened to me. After my father's funeral we stopped at mom's pizza place for some beers. Within fifteen minutes we were all laughing about the unusual things that had happened in the last hour.

I think dad would have found it all funny too.

 
At 6:17 PM , Blogger Star said...

I am so sorry. I have just come by and learned of your loss. You have my heartfelt sympathy. Having lost my 33 year old daughter in Dec. to pulmonary embolism, I can say that I relate on some levels. I wish you more good days than bad. If you want to vent off-blog, just send an email. My heart goes out to you.

 
At 7:02 PM , Blogger carmilevy said...

Two thoughts come to mind as I read this, Karen:

1 - I want to live in your community. It sounds like the ideal place for a family.

2 - When that someday arrives, I'll be waiting in the front row, hanging on your every word.

 
At 12:06 AM , Blogger xxxx said...

Oh, I am so, so glad that you have such good people around you. It is amazing what goodness and light can come out of sadness sometimes.

Can't wait to hear the funny stuff :) Take care.

(P.S. My word verification is "McDig." It must know it has a Grey's fan onboard!)

 
At 4:39 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

Sounds to me like Andrew was watching over you and making sure you were alright.

 
At 4:31 PM , Blogger Jess Riley said...

I too am glad you have such a strong support system right now.

And isn't it funny how lightness sometimes skips into what can be such sad moments in life? Thank goodness for that.

 
At 10:51 AM , Blogger Joan said...

I am so glad to read of the wonderful support your friends and community have given you and your family during this difficult time.

And I absolutely understand how humor finds its way into situations like this. When my dad passed away a few years ago, my mom, sister and I all found ourselves enjoying the humorous little moments which surrounded us during the days after.

 
At 7:27 PM , Blogger kenju said...

You must live in a wonderful neighborhood, and so do I. Our neighbors are supportive like that when there is a death or illness. Isn't it wonderful? I hope you are getting along okay.

 
At 2:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Karen, I didn't know until just today.

God bless you and your family.

I'm glad that you and yours are loved and well-cared for right now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home