Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Day of Reckoning


I believe in box cleaning. I wish, many times a year, that I took my free time (of which I have a lot) and used it to clean closets, cabinets, drawers and unused rooms. As we are on the cusp of the proverbial empty nest, you’d think I’d relish such projects. I don’t. Instead I box clean, which simply means that when someone important (i.e. anyone other than immediate family) is coming over, I madly rush throughout the house and throw things in boxes and laundry baskets and then hide them. In the past, I have box cleaned so well that I have either never found the boxes or really didn’t need their contents. This would come back to bite me in the ass when we decided to move so that we’d have more room for our crap. Suddenly, I came face to face with crap I’ve hidden, didn’t need or should have taken better care of long ago. You’d think I’d learn my lesson and stop box cleaning and start real cleaning, but NO. I continue in my madness. Since I am, unfortunately, all worked up over what people think of me, I have pissed off many members of my family in one of my box cleaning missions.

This Christmas, I worked my butt off box cleaning. One of the biggest targets of my efforts was the laundry. Prior to Christmas, we had visited family and had gone to a football game. It was cold, wet and rainy. I was well-prepared for the weather, but not so prepared for washing the resulting winterwear. Before we left, I was so damn proud of the fact that I washed every last piece of laundry, giving me that relaxing feeling during the holidays. Dammit if it didn’t all come screaming back at me. You can see the results above. And so, when we had family coming over on Christmas Day, I had to box clean my laundry. I hid it and crammed it into every laundry chute and clothes hamper I could find. Today is my day of reckoning. I can no longer avoid the mountains of stinkiness. Crap. If you’re looking for me, I’ll be in the laundry room.

10 Comments:

At 1:59 PM , Blogger marzi said...

hi karen - just found your blog! we're neighbors...kinda....i live in sheboygan. (my hubby works in milwaukee) anyway, i read a few of your entries and they're just too funny! i especially love the dear diary one from a few days back!

 
At 3:58 PM , Blogger Em said...

I never knew what we did had a name! Box cleaning. I like it! And it totally pisses me off to clean stuff...and realize weeks or months later it is still hidden away. That really points out how much time I spend moving around crap that I don't even need!

 
At 9:11 PM , Blogger xxxx said...

Oh, my gosh, I TOTALLY do that! I moved last summer and it was seriously ridiculous how many boxes were full of crap I hadn't missed in three years. Of course, what did I do? Taped them back up and brought them along!

 
At 1:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband box cleans... and later, sometimes several years later, I find what he has "cleaned up"! I'm glad you put a name to it...

 
At 9:44 PM , Blogger kenju said...

It has a way of catching up, doesn't it? Hope you can get out of the laundry room sometime this week!

 
At 12:32 AM , Blogger Tonikka said...

hi there my name is tonikka and i live in edmonton alberta canada, i love your blog and your sense of humour, anyway i wanted to let you know i stop by often and to wish you and yours a very happy new year

 
At 9:28 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

If you’re looking for me, I’ll be in the laundry room....


For a very long time!

 
At 10:10 PM , Blogger Jess Riley said...

Box cleaning! I love it!!! (I stuff everything in the washer or dryer, when there isn't a wad of mummified clothing in one or both.)

Happy New Year, Karen!

 
At 9:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tooooo funny, I do this too, I never had a name for it though, now I do! I especially do this with piles and piles of PAPER that have accumulated. Then when I need some important paper I have to dig through my box to find it. I just found your blog, you are too funny. I will stop by again sometime.

 
At 5:48 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Box cleaning! I hope the loving wife never learns of that. When I got out of the navy, we moved from Virginia to Indiana. The wife had done all the laundry prior to the moving company packing up. We moved into an apartment for six months and most of our large items went into storage, including the appliances since the apartment came with all of them.

When we finally moved into our house and I went to hook up the washer, I found the t-shirts and jeans that somehow had been lost during the move. After many empty loads of hot water and disinfectant, we finally decided to get a new washer. The funk was permanent.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home