Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Stealing a Moment

We stole an evening from our daughter Saturday night. Shhhh. Don’t tell her. We’re hoping she won’t notice. If she did, I think this is how she would describe it: “Nobody was around and nobody called me, so I sat home with the parents (ugh), watched a movie and ate Chinese food. B-O-R-I-N-G!”

Here’s how I’ll describe it: “Our daughter had no plans and neither did we and so we went to Blockbuster, chose a movie that we could all agree on (The Greatest Game Ever Played), and picked up Chinese food. It was really nice. For a couple hours, it felt like we were a family again, instead of a splintering unit headed in different directions connected only by cell phones.”

I treat these “stolen” moments like gold. They’re rare and really special to me. I completely understand that to a 14-year old, an evening like that is on par with a visit to the dentist – slightly painful and quickly forgotten. To me, it’s precious. For two whole hours, my daughter forgets that she doesn’t like me much or that I annoy her to no end. Too bad it can’t last.

Oh, and in case you’re wondering, the movie was great. Watch it with the whole family, if they’ll let you.

9 Comments:

At 7:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice story. We had a few evenings like that when I was growing up. Hope you liked the movie. . . I thought it was good, if not a little slow and predictable.

 
At 7:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah for having a good night with her! I always tell my husband that I dread teh days that Abbie will be a teenager, and not want me around all the time, and not let me hug and kiss her whenever I want. I know how I was as a teenager, so I don't look foward to it! Hope you get more nights like that soon!

 
At 3:04 PM , Blogger srp said...

Ah those times are few and far between. When they get to college, it seems to be a bit better.... but then, well.... one step forward, two steps back.

 
At 4:57 PM , Blogger kenju said...

I used to feel very special when your children deigned to spend a weekend night with us. Lucky you!

 
At 9:56 PM , Blogger angela marie said...

I am so not looking forward to when my kids don't want me around anymore. **sniff**

 
At 1:07 AM , Blogger Jess Riley said...

I love nights like that! So happy to hear you recently had one. :)

 
At 3:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my sons were 14 and 16, we bought a pool table, hoping to keep them home a little longer. They don't even know they need it at that age, but it can be very rejuvenating for all. michele sent me over.

 
At 1:17 AM , Blogger xxxx said...

I remember being that 14-year-old. Don't worry, it won't last forever :)

 
At 3:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to this. It was really upsetting and bewildering as our twin sons seemed to withdraw from me once they entered teenagehood. We'd been very close emotionally and lots of cuddles and then it was like they didn't want to know me. Scarcastic remarks, disdainful glances etc. They are 19 now and haven't improved much. People say they will come back to me, I wonder when?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home