Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I'm So Sexy, I'm Skanky!

So today I dragged my butt to the salon for a manicure and a pedicure. I know, you're saying to yourself: geez, life is rough. The thing is, I'm not real comfortable with getting "services" such as these. As M.A. explains in McDays (go see her - she's a new blogger and a great writer), life here in Wisconsin is uber-casual and I'm quite cozy in that mode. But, my hubby had given me a gift certificate and since I have the most blah nails in the world, I decided it was time to jazz them up a little.

So, as I'm sitting there awaiting my pedicure, the manicurist tosses two magazines at me: Good Housekeeping (which I've already read cover to cover) and Cosmo Girl. Yes, I said Cosmo GIRL. Look, I'm 45. I practically sobbed the last time I was carded. I have no business reading Cosmo, let alone Cosmo GIRL. However, since it was immediately apparent that the pedicure lady did not want to converse with me (fine - I am SO tired of salon chit-chat), I cracked open CG to find out why my 13-year old would want to read this demoralizing crap. Suddenly, an article caught my eye: "Guys Reveal: What's Skanky, What's Sexy..." (I'm SO glad I banished the 13-year old from this.) Still, I had to know and so I turned to page 86.

Summing it all up for guys everywhere was Brian, 19, who said: "Low-cut tops, streaky hair and low-riding jeans can be sexy OR skanky, depending on how they're worn. " Thank you, Brian. I'll be sure to call you when my daughter needs a date to prom. As if!

9 Comments:

At 3:32 PM , Blogger CarpeDM said...

Oh, good Lord, I'm so glad I don't have children.

It's bad enough that we went through the whole "am I attractive" thing when we were growing up but now they have a magazine to make the next generation feel horrible about themselves. Way to go, Cosmo.

And good for you, Karen, from banning her from this magazine.

Way to be decisive there, Brian.

 
At 11:27 AM , Blogger Marisa said...

There's nothing like validation from a 19-year-old! Those magazines are so scary. I remember when, decades ago, my mom banned Seventeen magazine from the house, and that was BEFORE thong underwear was all the rage!

 
At 1:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is BEYOND true! Out of the mouths of babes!

 
At 10:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, here via Michele's.

I really enjoyed reading your blog! I am starting to see the signs of my age here. Cosmo sucks now. I found two gray hairs. I described a woman as "older" to a friend the other day. My friend pointed out to me that the "older" woman was only four years older than me.

My God, am I getting that old? LOL!

 
At 6:33 AM , Blogger Marie said...

So says the 19-year-old boy.... I didn't even know they made "Cosmo Girl." Oh my. Oh my.

Michele sent me!

 
At 7:25 AM , Blogger Weary Hag said...

Oh my Brian, COMMIT already! Which is it?
I cringe to admit this, but back when I went to high school was the first year they allowed girls to wear slacks or jeans! (public high)
Until then, it was dresses all the time. Well you would have thought someone handed out testosterone tablets to all the boys the way they'd gape at us and melt!
I even wore hot pants to school, and the dreaded mini-skirts! Low cut though, was off limits for me. I wonder how I drew that line?

Great post!

 
At 8:08 AM , Blogger Olyal said...

As if teenage boys know how to differentiate between sexy and skanky?! To them T&A is just that whichever way it comes. All they care about is what's under the wrapping. :o)

Michele sent me.

 
At 6:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess it's something you just know when it's "right". The line is expect is attitude and facial expression as much as beltline.

Michele sent me.

 
At 10:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's me and I'm back sounding off again.. sorry!!
I only let my daughter read Teen People-- and I tear out the sex questions and the stuff that she is not old enouh for.I use to write comments with markers on ads or pictures if it was low cut or to revealing -saying so so she could see that it was not ok or sexy. Now SHE is the one who writes it - THANK GOD ITS SINKING IN!!I try to explain that it takes more guts to show the mind than the body.That the mind is more "sexy" and I hope it pays off!! your thoughts are soo dead on! thank you for your insight. I love your blog!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home