Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Motivation Matters

There are days when I sit here in my maternal office complex and feel like I've got my pulse on the world. I know what's going on, what's on our calendar, what we're having for dinner, where the kids are, how much laundry needs to be done and I practically dare someone to stop over and look through my house. Sadly, those days are few and far between. Today, I sit amongst many "mid-chores" - i.e. things that need to be done and that I've started, but who knows if I'll finish. There's the laundry. Today I decided to wash sheets and towels - a seemingly endless job that makes the bedrooms look like disaster sites. I confess - I don't do this on a regular basis. I figure if it doesn't bother me, then it's OK. It's generally pride that kicks in and forces me to do things like sheets and towels. For instance, an overnight guest is a guaranteed way to have clean bedding and towels throughout the house. Why? Well, in my warped viewpoint on the world, what if that guest needs to change beds and sleep somewhere else - gasp! I need to be prepared.

For years I've been trying to figure out what motivates me to do things. It's finally boiled down to this - embarrassment. If there is a chance I or my family will be embarrassed, I'll do it in a heartbeat. Pathetic, isn't it? I'm controlled by outer forces. Give me lots of time and no visitors and I'm lazier than an lame housecat. I can find tons of things to do other than cleaning closets, basement, dressers, etc. However, if I'm having a party - whammo - done in an instant. I become SUPERMOM.

Procrastination is my best friend. I work GREAT under pressure because I have no choice. I'm not doing anything until there is pressure. Sad, but true. That explains why, at 11:30 on a Thursday, I'm sitting here blogging, when there's laundry to do, dishes to wash, etc., etc.

Maybe if I pretend to hear the doorbell, I'll get my ass in gear and actually accomplish something. On second thought....NAHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home