Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Monday, November 29, 2004

Prayer of an Imperfect Mom

Lord, help me remember that my child's messy bedroom is their "lived-in" sanctuary filled with evidence of a growing human being...and sometimes growing mold cultures.

Lord, help me remember that forgotten chores are only tasks not horrible transgressions. They remind me that my children are a work in progress...and I've got my work cut out for me.

Lord, help me remember that grades are not the only measurement of success and that each child is different. Regardless of what their grade point is, they are already smarter than me.

Lord, help me remember that the giggling and screaming adolescents in the basement are only here in my house for a short time. The sound I hear now will be much quieter than my empty nest.

Lord, teach me not to take it personally when noses are turned up at the dinners that I spend all day planning and fixing. I'm here to nourish, not entertain.

Lord, help me remember that my children's goals might be different than mine or perhaps they're the same goal with just a different way of getting there.

Lord, remind me to be gentle for it wasn't so long ago that I was that insecure, awkward teen bruising at the slightest criticism.

Lord, teach me to tell my children I love them as often as I yell at them, so that they grow to learn that compassion is a necessary component of leadership.

Lord, teach me to be patient and keep my mouth shut. Let me allow them to make their own mistakes, suffer the consequences and learn from the whole experience.

Lord, help me to comfort them when they are disappointed by friends, siblings or first crushes. Let me draw upon my vast experience in that area to assure them that there will be better friends, siblings that truly do love them and someone who loves them unconditionally.

Lord, remind me to hug my children every day, even if they squirm and grimace while I'm doing it.

Lord, teach me to stop comparing myself to other mothers, especially the pretty and skinny ones. We've all got our challenges, some just hide them better.

Lord, help me be the very best mother that I can be, despite the imperfection of my house, my children and sometimes my attitude. Remind me that I still have the best job in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home