Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Skeletons

I'm banking on the idea that every homemaker has places in their house that they don't want anyone to see. Places that are not really hidden, but it's usually a good bet that "outsiders" will never see these places. In our house, it's the closets. They're shameful. They're bad enough that a reality show could be based upon them. There may small children or old people hidden in them and we'd never know. When I look in them, I shudder. I find what I need and quickly close them. Often, I look in them and get angry, especially if they belong to my children or my husband. I rant, I rave and then I move on. I could plan a week to organize them, but there would be two problems with that: 1) I'd much rather do almost anything and 2) They'd be back to the same horrible state in less than a week. I know this because I've tried. I've devoted a day only to find my efforts are for naught. Nobody cares. Heck, I don't even really care - as long as I'm not looking at them.

So why do I even bring this up? Because the one time when this matters is when somebody is staying at our house...overnight. It means that I'll have to address, at the very least, the guest room closet. This is also known as the storage dump. It's where silly purchases go and hide so my husband won't know. It's where 15 boxes of Mac & Cheese live after a trip to Sam's Club. It's just a ridiculous place that's in a ridiculous state. I should be ashamed...no, I should be cleaning it right now. But why, especially when there's a Gilmore Girls rerun calling my name?

Now, if I could only find a way to LOCK the guest room closet!

2 Comments:

At 12:27 PM , Blogger Ann D said...

Just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying your blog! I found you via BlogExplosion.

Ann Douglas
The Mother of All Blogs
http://anndouglas.blogspot.com

 
At 1:50 AM , Blogger carmilevy said...

Sometimes, I wish we could get away with not hosting guests at all. But since we moved away from our hometown, and everyone who's near and dear to us lives far away, they'll all be sleeping here sooner or later.

It IS tempting to give them a tent and point them toward the backyard :)

I feel your pain. Makes me wish the cleaning fairies would visit my house.

It's good to e-see you again, Karen. I've gone quiet lately with my commenting because work has been so insane. Sorry about that!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home