Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Puppy Love

Well, it finally happened. My daughter has her first crush. And just like her mom, it's a "funny" boy. Gosh, I remember those days. I always fell for the ones that made me laugh hysterically. They weren't necessarily cute but I wanted to follow them around and just listen to them all day. Always it was unrequited puppy love. The funny boys still liked cute girls and I wasn't savvy enough to learn to make friends with them when they didn't want to "go out" with me. (Of course when they're making fun of you and saying mean things, it's difficult for friendship to develop. This and the fact that I didn't have much self-confidence back then.) In fact, I still remember slow dancing with one of my "funny" crushes and him telling me that I should stop leading. Ouch.

In any case, what surprises me is how open my daughter is about this. She tells me about which girls and boys like each other and so I finally worked up the courage to ask if there was anyone that she liked. She said yes but wouldn't say who. I asked if I could guess and when I did, she laughed and said: "That's what everyone said! How did you know?!" I knew because hey, I've been there.

Now I need to treat this situation delicately. I can't bring it up too much and I can't really tell anyone. And, hard to believe if you know me, I won't even kid her about it.

I just hope she doesn't get her heart broken and that the boys today aren't as mean as the boys back in my day. But if they are, I'll be there to pick up the pieces and tell her what a great girl she is, even if she is leading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home