Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Stage Mom

There's nothing like watching your child perform. You can't help but be incredibly proud. This morning my daughter sang at mass - like an angel, I might add. I wanted her to have a "starring" role but she was sharing this gig. Still, it always brings me to tears. I want to jump up and yell: "That's MY daughter!" But, I maintained my self-control and held back. I didn't tell her I was going and I didn't congratulate her afterwords. She would prefer that I keep my distance. This is our unspoken agreement. Others can hear her but not me. Gradually, she's letting up on this silent rule. Maybe someday I'll get to hog the front row.

I'm just as proud of my son. He has a passion for music and, unlike my daughter, he often shares his creations with me or lets me listen while he performs. It never fails to amaze me. My kids have talent that I could only dream of having. I guess all those years of hoping and praying paid off. (Not to mention a few lessons along the way.) When I was young I wanted nothing more than to sing or play an instrument. Neither was in my future, despite several attempts. So now I'm living vicariously through my kids. Neither will become pop stars or fabulously famous but they do get recognized for their talent, which I'm sure is gratifying for them. I hope they enjoy it while it lasts but most of all, I hope it gives them the self-esteem that makes life just a little bit easier.

Meanwhile, I'll remain their biggest fan...forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home