Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Wishlist

I'm going to New York City this weekend. My daughter is part of a choir that is performing at Carnegie Hall. (Cool, huh?!) We are staying until Thanksgiving Day. The reason that we are staying until then is because my friend Gena is going with us and on her list of things she wants to do before she dies is seeing the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. And so...voila!

This made me start thinking, what do I want to do before I die? And so, in no particular order, here is my list of things I want to do before I die:

- Go to Europe with my husband and eat our way through several countries.
- Hold my grandbaby (not until his/her parents are old enough to have him/her).
- Travel in a motor home for a week...just because.
- See my younger son and my daughter hug, without me prompting them.
- Be published...in a good way.
- Read Dickens...any Dickens. I'm ashamed to say I never have.
- Read Jane Austen...see Dickens, above.
- Go to Hollywood and see all the trashy touristy places with my family.
- Have a 25th Anniversary Party (3 more years!)
- Ride around town in a 1964-1/2 Ford Mustang Convertible
- Have a 2nd home on a lake or with a pool.
- Spend a week in Napa Valley with my hubby and drink our way through several wineries.
- Learn to make great bread pudding and creme brulee.
- Have a girls' weekend with my grade school and high school buddies.
- Find a comfortable bike seat and learn to enjoy biking.
- Play Bunco (What's up with that game?! Everybody plays it except me!)
- Go sailing.
- Do something meaningful and worthwhile for someone less fortunate.
- Go on a totally goofy vacation based on a theme, like only visiting cities named after condiments...well, you get the picture.
- Swim with dolphins.
- Learn to slow dance.
- Make sure that everyone that I love, knows how much I love them.

So that's my list...or everything I could think of today. Stay tuned....

24 Comments:

At 11:45 PM , Blogger carmilevy said...

Hi Karen. Popped in from Michele's tonight.

I love this list. It captures the carpe diem spirit that so many people these days are missing.

I'll bet that you achieve a good number of these goals.

 
At 3:18 AM , Blogger JoeC said...

wow, Carnegie Hall, brilliant! have a nice and safe thanksgiving week.

i'll love to go bck to europe again... so, ya dig a mustang eh, classic! cheers!

 
At 4:17 AM , Blogger Weary Hag said...

Wonderful list, Karen. I know you probably won't read this until you return but I'll bet you'll have a fantastic time at that parade. Being a native of NYC, I remember them well - cold and crowded and exciting!

I love your choice in cars. My first was a '68 Mustang Fastback ...still one of the best cars I ever owned. :)

 
At 6:32 AM , Blogger cmhl said...

that is an awesome list! I think I'd travel in a motor home for a month though, or a year, rather than a week..

 
At 6:59 AM , Blogger Aginoth said...

I lived in Dunfermline for a while...Birthplace of Carnegie

Michelle sent me

 
At 7:02 AM , Blogger craziequeen said...

Thanks for visiting!

Good list.

I am already doing (or have done) some of mine.

Learn to ski (next Jan)
Learn to lambada (some years ago on holiday)
Write a novel (doing nano right now!)

Michele sent me.

cq

 
At 7:04 AM , Blogger Sandy said...

Your list is fantastic. It's good to know where you want to head before all you have left is a chance to look back and regret. I'm sure you'll be checking off many of these someday.

Enjoy New York! You daughter is in for a treat, as are you all when you get to see the parade!

 
At 7:07 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

Hello from Michele.

I just loved New York City. I went with a friend a few years ago. It was the greatest place (without kids) that I ever visited. The only thing I didn't like was that my nails were always dirty. Imagine what we were breathing...Have fun!

 
At 7:53 AM , Blogger kenju said...

Great list. Now what I want to do is come and eat your bread pudding and creme brulee (after you master them, of course)!

Michele sent me, today.

 
At 8:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I made the blog today! Just so you know, I'm so excited to be leaving soon! And after reading some of the comments, even more excited to see the parade! Everybody needs to see something "BIG" at least once. The next thing on the list is the Rose Bowl Parade. Actually, I'd love to work on one of the floats...just once. And, as you know, I'm right there with you on the 'Stang....someday soon one of us will have that car....red with a white top and white pony seats.... SWEET!

 
At 8:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great list! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun checking each item off!

 
At 9:58 AM , Blogger Dak-Ind said...

Carnagie Hall... AWESOME! congratulations, they dont let just anyone preform there.

a love the list, i have done a few of those, and i too have a few of those left to do.

Good morning michelle sent me.

 
At 12:55 PM , Blogger carmilevy said...

I'm back from Michele's. Just wanted to say how impressive the Carnegie Hall experience is. What stories she will be able to tell!

 
At 2:17 PM , Blogger Marisa said...

Wow, that's quite a list. But it all seems so do-able. I'm especially impressed that you have friends from grade school. All my grade-school girlfriends are... well, I'm not sure.

 
At 2:17 PM , Blogger Marisa said...

Oh, and have a great Thanksgiving! Wave to me from the parade.

 
At 2:48 PM , Blogger Chatty said...

Sounds like a great trip and a great list!

Michele sent me.

 
At 2:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list. And let me help. If you get out to Napa Valley email me and let me open some doors not nomrally opened.

 
At 2:56 PM , Blogger ribbiticus said...

great list! i have so many thing that i would put on mine it would take up your entire front page - hahaha! congrats on your daughter's performing in carnegie hall! wow! you must be so proud.

here via michele today. :)

 
At 3:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Carnegie Hall. That's a big event. Congrats,
Michele sent me.

 
At 11:44 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Hi! Here from Michele's tonight. I could have sworn I already left a comment here, but apparently it has been sucked into the black hole of comments! LOL!

Have a great time in NYC. I desperately want to go there some day soon!

Safe trip!

 
At 5:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great list! I do hope you get around to acheiving some of these goals set.

I'm here via Michele today...

 
At 4:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, here from Canadian Mark's.
I just wanted to suggest reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen as it is slightly more entertaining then the others and not as long so it is a good one to start out with!

 
At 7:15 PM , Blogger Spock said...

I hope you & your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Be careful with that turkey! Mom just tolded me it's got a sleepin drug in it! She shoulda tolded me afore....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

 
At 6:56 AM , Blogger kenju said...

Karen, please tell us how your trip to NYC went and what you liked about it.

Michele sent me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home