Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Monday, June 07, 2004

The Greener Grass

I realize this is like a honeymoon, but today, motherhood is looking good. For the next 80+ days, I don't have to make lunches. I don't have to help with homework. I don't have to hear about teachers that are "so stupid" or assignments that are "so unfair." I don't have to go to any horrible music concerts listening to lots of kids that aren't mine and then not be able to see mine because I'm in the 95th row. I don't have to make sure the uniform is clean and that the permission slips are signed. I don't have to be nice to teachers that I don't really care for. I don't have to yell at anyone to go to bed...again, and again, and again. I don't have to search through the backpack to find out what I don't know. I don't have to sign any tests or progress reports.

You see, today summer starts. I have visions of happy, suntanned children happily running through my house, profusely thanking me as I hand them a home-baked cookie. I have dreams of my child coming home sweaty and exhausted after riding her bike around all day long. Then I see us collapsing together on the couch and watching a fun movie and sharing popcorn, knowing we're staying up way too late, but it's summer.

This is my dream. It's what I dreamed of for years while I was working. It's not realistic, but along the way, there will be sweet, fun and comforting moments when I realize why I'm staying home. Finally, I'm on the greener grass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home