Momhood

Motherhood, insanity and everyday life.

Saturday, June 05, 2004

Mother-lovin' summer

You know, when I was working full-time, I used to see stay-at-home moms and think: "Wow. I'm so jealous. Can you imagine how nice it is to do whatever you want all day long." Now I peer into office buildings, look at women working and think: "Wow. I'm so jealous. Can you imagine how nice it is to do whatever you want all day long."

Don't get me wrong. I'm not whining. OK, I am whining. I just am a bit fearful of summer. I have a 12-year old girl at home. Let's face it - she runs my life instead of the other way around. Often, we're like oil and water - when she wants to shop, I want to see a movie. When I want to shop, she wants to see a movie, with 5 friends, and then come back to our house, where they trash the basement and I'm held captive here until they leave.

I hope my fears are foundless. Perhaps her bike will be her salvation and she'll want to be with her friends. I hope her friends will be true friends and remember that she exists and actually call her instead of always having to call them. That's the other tough part about summer - watching your daughter wishing she had a best friend. A true best friend. I was blessed to have that when I was her age, but I don't think she's yet found that. The special person that you tell all your inner-most secrets to. I could be that person, but I shouldn't be. You see, I'm just a mom - low on the family totem pole. One whose needs disappear in the face other others. What do I really know, anyway? It's not like I've ever been twelve or know anything about what she's thinking or feeling. I mean, really.

And so it begins....but wait, here's a happy thought: ONLY 85 MORE DAYS TILL SCHOOL STARTS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

At 8:17 AM , Blogger carmilevy said...

What matters is that you're there for her. And as underappreciated as moms are in the day-to-day hubbub of the typical house, kids come to appreciate them at a very fundamental level as they get older.

I look back at all my mother did for me when I was a kid, and I realize she was, and is, a hero. And I didn't do enough to recognize that fact at the time. Hopefully I can rectify this as I shepherd my own kids into teendom and adulthood.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home